January 7, 2010

Am I ga-ga for Lady Gaga?


According to SPIN.com 2009 Readers’ Poll, Lady Gaga was voted Best New Artist, won Video of the Year for “Bad Romance” and was runner up for Artist of the Year behind Pearl Jam. This comes as no surprise, however, because it is impossible to turn on the radio, the tv or glance at a computer screen without hearing or seeing (barely) Lady Gaga. Her outlandish fashion sense, disturbing music videos and random lyrics (ga-ga-ooh-la-la?) have left me in a state of confusion. Do I despise her or do I love her?

Why I may love her…

In general, a lot of the music that is popular at one time tends to all sound the same. Of course, there are the musical greats that save the airwaves, but forget about those few for a minute. In the late 90s, there were about 7.5 million boy bands out singing about broken hearts while the rest of the singers were blonde and naked. (P.S. I love ‘Nsync and Britney but that’s beside the point). Now, boy bands have turned into Disney movie sensations and synth-pop boys crying about fireflies (I like that song too but that’s also beside the point). If one thing is liked just a little, then all the sudden, we are bombarded by 5 thousand versions of that one thing. Shitty vampire craze, anyone? I miss Buffy.



Anyway, the whole point is in this society filled with trends and fads, we thrive on innovation and Lady Gaga is undoubtedly innovative. She brings something different to the table; she adds some flavor and excitement. She doesn’t have the greatest voice or the most intelligent lyrics but neither did Madonna and look at her. Madonna was awesome because of her uniqueness and her ability to be talented beyond lyrics and voice but through creativity.



Plus, I always really make fun of Lady Gaga’s weird songs at first and then suddenly, I’m drunk dancing at a bar and her song comes on and I have this epiphany as the beat infiltrates my body: “Wait…I think I love this song!”.




Why I’m not sure…


She is so fucking weird. I hate to say that because everyone is weird in their own way but she is SO fucking weird. Why are you wearing Kermit the frog dolls all over your body as a dress? Why is blood coming from your eyeballs during your VMA performance? AND What the hell does your face look like? What are you trying to hide? I can’t help but think that she may be trying too hard to be different, to stand out and that's not innovative, that's just phony. UNLESS she is actually fucking weird. In that case, I’ll forgive her.



What do you guys think? Are YOU going gaga over GAGA?

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Her songs are sickkk... It's undeniable, even if she is a little off in her attire & personality. Crazy beats, catchy, fun lyrics.. everyone I know loves her-- young, old, male, female, frog...she's reinvented what we're going to be hearing on the radio for awhile! Def new-Madonna potential, and I wouldn't say that about just anyone.